Saturday, September 24, 2011

Under the weather continues.....

Don't you love a Fall cold..... that goes on and on..... and on......   Nope, me neither!   However, I can't seem to shake this one, so I have been taking more naps and trying to get through my obligations first.  So, blogging has taken a back seat.


I started a new class at the Denver Botanic Gardens.  What a delight, it is.  We were lucky enough to be able to borrow nests and eggs from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.  Some of the nests are from the late 1800's!  We were also treated to a lecture from one of the young researchers, who filled us in on the many details of nesting.  


I decided to work on two nests:  A Wilson's Warbler and a Hummingbird.  I had planned to work on the Wilson's warbler nest, but one of the other students is also working on it....and no one opted for the Hummingbird, so I grabbed it.  However, over the next few months, I plan to do several more nest paintings, and I will have all the research and sketches done for the Wilson's Warbler.


Okay.... Here are some photos of the nest (since we cannot bring them home, we must take photos for reference, and then work in class).




All the nests are documented and boxed
mine was found in 1988



The Wilson's Warbler make their
nests in low bushes near water.
The bird's coloring is a bright yellow
and they are noted song birds.




Here is some of the detail.
The nest is about 4x6 inches...
small and delicate.


No comments: