Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Tsunami evacuation...

I had some photos for you but this computer is confusing to me and, at the moment, I am unable to download photos. Mostly, I would be showing you....again..... a large parking lot, filled with cars, with people in them, sleeping or waiting for the wave to come in at 4 a.m..

We took our pillows and headed up the hill, about a mile away. This time, the alarm went off at 10:30 p.m., right out side our window..... and the wave was expected to come in around 4:00 a.m. We packed up (we are getting to know this drill, which is a little scary) and added our pillows, as we knew it would be a long night.

I must admit, it's been a while since I had to sleep in my car... and it has given me a new perspective of what many people are having to do these days. Believe me, it was not so comfortable, but there were many around us who were in the same situation. So we got comfy and drifted off to sleep...between news reports on the local radio. After the first wave, it was determined that the second, third or fourth would be bigger. Such was the case..... the third wave was the one that caused the most damage. We were able to come home around 11:30 in the morning.

As we went to visit our favorite tide pool today, I realized that this would have been totally covered with water and we could have been just sitting there watching the sea urchins, etc. Thank heavens for the wonderful system that the islands of Hawaii have set up for safety during a Tsunami. Though, it is quite an inconvenience, it is the best thing ever, for the safety and welfare of the citizens and visitors.

I honor the ocean, the aloha spirit, and the great civil servants, that worked through the night, caring for those of us who wouldn't know what to do, otherwise.

So, Aloha..... I hope to figure out the photo situation...and share some pix with you soon.

No comments: