Monday, July 19, 2010

RTH Junior, lands in the back yard

This is an update on the Red Tailed Hawks. They have been very busy, since my last posting about them in May/June. The babies (2) have grown into "junior's" and they are learning all sorts of things. Last Friday, my husband happened to find "Junior" in the back yard, hanging out in the creek and testing his independence. We (seriously) have about 50 photos of him/her, playing in the yard. He/She knew that we were there and that Sweet Hubby was photographing up a storm. He/She didn't seem to mind at all.

As I was writing this, I could hear a big commotion outside in the trees..... and sure enough, "Junior" had found a delicious morsel and was up in the branches, with his catch....tugging, eating, and generally thrilled at what he managed to eat...on his own.

We are having a lot of fun with this..... hope you enjoy seeing these photos, as well.


Morning bath


Drying off a bit


Just sitting for a bit....



"Maybe, I should let Mom know where I am??"



On the runway.... ready for take off...

4 comments:

Emily Cole said...

Beautiful! How lucky! I want to live where you do! :) Can we expect a drawing soon??

Cynthia's Botanical Arts said...

You would think that we lived out in the country, but we don't.... sort of fun to have nature visit your back yard. As for drawings,..... I am 'in between'....so not much to share at the moment.

Emily Cole said...

I meant a drawing of Junior! ;)

Cynthia's Botanical Arts said...

OOPs! Wouldn't that be fun? Maybe, one of these days, I will step out of my comfort zone and work on a sketch of him/her. It has been the biggest treat to have these birds popping into the back yard.