Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Poppies from the garden

My poppies are tucked away in a corner of the garden, where they thrive. They are such a delight every year, and the salmon color is a favorite for me. This year I picked them (before the high winds and hail took their toll) and brought them into the house to sketch and photo graph. I liked the photos enough to share today.


A small bouquet in a jam jar.



"Hello" from above.....



In all it's glory....stunning, I think....

This past weekend, Sweet hubby and I had the good fortune to head to the Denver Botanic Gardens (where we managed to spend four hours enjoying ourselves). They are having a wonderful exhibit of 20 Henry Moore sculptures among the gardens. It is absolutely spectacular and I took a ton of photos (well, not a ton... but a LOT!!) The sculptures were more than I expected, and the Gardens just happened to have an Iris show going on....which we couldn't resist. I will share photos through out the week, of the gardens in all their glory.

If you are planning a trip or are in the area, you really might want to plan a morning or afternoon at the gardens. (Check the link at the right, for lectures, and lots of other exciting things that are going on there ).

See you tomorrow......

4 comments:

Emily Cole said...

I just got back from Minnesota where my mom's oriental poppies were in full bloom and gorgeous. One of my favorite flowers!

Cynthia's Botanical Arts said...

Emily, I grew up in Kenwood (Minneapolis)!! How is that for a small world. Glad you like the poppies too!

Emily Cole said...

That is crazy! I know two people who used to live in that same neighborhood. I lived in Uptown for some years and also by Loring Park. Small world indeed!

Cynthia's Botanical Arts said...

I spent so much time at the Uptown Library (wonder if it is still there?) and hanging with friends near Loring Park. It makes me homesick.... in a wonderful way.
Thanks so much for sharing!!