Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A special date with my husband

Yesterday, we had the great good fortune to spend some time in a very special place. Both 'Sweet Hubby" and I are fans of Frank Lloyd Wright. Not necessarily for how he lead his life, but very much for the way he designed "space". He continues to enamor us with his structures. In Maui, there is a place that was built in recent times (1994) but using original plans from Frank Lloyd Wright and built under the acceptance of the FLW Historical Foundation.
This structure is now a golf course on the other side of the island from us... a windy area, up on a hill, across from the valley from Haleakala (the Volcano).
Not a detail was spared in the construction and refurbishing of this structure. It is a private club now, but recently, they offered a "Membership for a Day", and we did not hesitate to take this chance to see it. My husband wanted this for his birthday gift, so, of course, it was my treat. Did we have fun (it's fun to be able to share a birthday gift!!)...despite high winds and a cool day? We had a ball.
I will share this gift with you.... of a very special place:
Circles are the motif for this entire structure

This circular, stained glass window
defines an entrance
Here is half of another entrance
Just stunning!

Here is the view of the entire structure
coming back on the 18th hole,
to the club house

In the style of FLW, not a detail is missed, even the exterior stairs.

I will be back, doing my thing in Colorado, next week. I have been watching the weather and it is again, cold there, but there was a bit of sunshine and warmth, while I was gone. I am hoping to see my crocus... and I am so ready for Spring to pop up around the garden. I will be back sharing my work and the world of Nature and Art, next week.

Celebrate St. Patty's Day a bit early... Think Green all weekend!







No comments: