Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Saturday Tsunami alert

As you know, I mentioned that I was planning to 'warm my bones' for a bit...and so we came to our favorite place in the world...Maui. On Saturday, we awoke to sirens...at 6:00 A.M.!! We had received news on Friday evening, regarding the Chilean earthquake... and that there might be waves coming...even a Tsunami... but not for another 12 hours or so. We had planned to get up and find out what was happening....but the alarms outside our door did that for us. Believe me, I am grateful. The warnings were totally appropriate... and gratefully received. Turning on the television, we were told to pack for seven days along with food and water for the same time period. Not having that much food in our condo... we loaded our clothing, blankets, water and of course, my sweet hubby's golf clubs! Seriously!



This was the exact moment when the Tsunami was due to hit Maui.
As you can see, there is a slight change in the color of the water, but no other outward signs. We were told that the wave action was very uneven for about 45 minutes... but from our vantage point, you couldn't see much. All those parked cars were visitors and locals sharing every possible parking space.
We drove uphill about a mile away and parked our car, along with everyone else. A local radio station from Kahalui, kept us informed as the National Weather Service was keeping them informed. The roads around us were all closed, so we wouldn't attempt to go back to our homes. Finally, around 2:30 in the afternoon the all clear came over the radio waves. It was a bit anti-climatic, but not a complaint was heard. I just couldn't imagine the destruction that could have enveloped this island....as it has Chile (which breaks my heart).
Evening brought a full moon and a beautiful sunset

Sunday brought torrential rains and huge winds. It was quite a contrast from the day before. The winds continue, and because of temporarily (during the Alert) closing the water treatment plant... and some possible seepage of sewage, we cannot go into the ocean until two days of tests are completed. By tomorrow, we should really be back to normal around here. I laugh, as I cough and sneeze with a major cold.....only in Hawaii.... so I think I will go check out the tide pools and then sleep in my beach chair this afternoon.... let the sun warm my bones!

One last colored pencil drawing to share with you tomorrow.



No comments: