Thursday, February 25, 2010

Working in Colored Pencil again...

I have been working on this drawing for a very long time.... just can't seem to get it right. It definitely needs more work on the needles as well as the pine cone... but I can't seem to get the 3D effect as I want it. I plan to continue to tweak it for some time.



Pine cone in colored pencil


I am temporarily 'warming my bones' in a sunny state, but have chosen some work to bring with me (via a thumb drive....which is what I call it), to share with you. I needed to warm up and calm down... so I am sleeping in, walking every day and sitting in the sun, until I can get all my energy back (or my money runs out). I will be back in sunny but cold, Colorado soon enough. Right now, I plan to just enjoy some warm weather.
I have really enjoyed the Olympics...curling, bobsled... I love it all. I think the skiing events were the most fun to watch... seriously, I can not imagine doing such tricks... but so fun to watch. Don't you wish that we could keep the Olympic spirit alive through out the year.... sort of like Christmas.... sharing the love?? Of course, there have been some really sad moments in this Olympics... but most of the athletes 'get it', as far as the 'spirit' is concerned.
I am also reading a book now, by Wally Lamb. It's title is "The Hour I First Believed". Much of this beautifully written book is about Columbine High School, in Littleton, CO. It is hard to read, especially since a Middle School nearby has had another incident with a shooter, this week. Again, I have more questions than answers. Still, I plan to read this book to the end. I love all of Wally Lamb's works... just an outstanding writer.
I am also finishing up on "Mockingbird" which is non-fiction. I have thoroughly enjoyed this one as well. It is a brilliant book about Nell Harper Lee, the author of "To Kill a Mocking bird".
So, til the next time I can catch you.... stay warm, snuggle in if you live in the North East, drink some hot cocoa..... and read, draw, or watch the Olympic skaters.... and share kindness.

1 comment:

Geoffrey Brittan said...

Your picture is rather more complicated than it appears at first glance. That may be the charm of it. The contrasting forms; the long, thin needles, and the seed pods communicate an uncomfortable co-existence. Perhaps the image doesn't change the viewer (in the profound sense that Sister Wendy Beckett would have meant it) but it is an arresting image, painted as an object without relief, or contextual elements.

You have pictures I prefer more, but it deserves attention. I like it.