Monday, January 25, 2010

A visit to the Land of Grapefruit!

I bet you thought I fell off the turnip truck. Well, no.... but I was in the land of grapefruit. One of the things that I have been working on for the last two months is a scrapbook for my Father's 95th birthday!! Yes....he will be 95 in February... and I had the opportunity to head to his state for a week and then visit to bring him the book. It ended up being 75 pages in length.

When you live that long, you have lots of people around you that want to share photos and words of love. As one of my siblings said...."Why not hear it before you go.." I have spent the last few months collecting photos of family and letters from children & grandchildren. His sister, who is 97...joined in the fun by sending him a complete updated genealogy of the family.
Amazing, for sure..... and delightfully received by Dad.


I bet you are wondering why I have a photo of the grapefruit.... Well, twenty years ago, Dad planted this little grapefruit tree outside his condo. Now, it is a mature tree, bursting with fruit. My son, who came along with me on the visit, went home with a bag bursting with grapefruit. Every morning, Dad enjoys these tasty treats. How cool is that??

So, an early "Happy Birthday" to You, Dad. By the looks of it, there will be many more (he has two siblings, both hearty souls, who are older and younger, but still kicking up their heels, on a daily basis!) Talk about celebrating life!

Keep smiling and today.... Celebrate today!!

No comments: