Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What we find on our walks

Orchid 'like' blossoms on the Orchid tree

Orchid tree hanging out in the alleyways of Maui


I have memories, growing up, of my Mother, Grandmother, and Great Aunt all receiving beautiful orchid corsages for special occasions. I think of orchids as a special flower, reserved for very special occasions. I have found orchids everywhere .... along the beach paths, or in an alley or in beautiful gardens. Last week we went up to the Kula Botanical Gardens and found many specimens of this grand flower.
Yesterday, we were walking along, taking a short cut to our beach trail, when we found this Orchid tree tucked away in an alley. The Orchid tree, from what I understand, is not a true Orchid, but very similar. The blooms are delicate and beautiful, despite the 'difference'.
It amazes me that I find new 'treasures' every day. Today, I am going to a Pineapple cutting with Auntie Noni - our local naturalist.
I also want to let you know about the Maui Nui Botanical Gardens www.mnbg.org/home.html
They will be hosting an Earth Day celebration this Saturday, April 18th, at the gardens....150 Kanaloa Ave., in Kahului (accross from the War Memorial stadium. I am hoping to go... and if I do, I will take photos for you.
Since, most of you cannot get there from where you are, please check out their website... it is very simple, but the video on the right is so very informative. You can learn a lot about the native species of Maui. Aloha

No comments: